Turkey Sausage & Peppers Burger
If you love the classic flavors of the Italian sausage and peppers sandwich, this healthy burger recipe, inspired by that flavor combination, is for you. If you don’t have a grill basket, fold a 24-inch piece of heavy-duty foil in half and crimp up the edges to create a lip; this will prevent the vegetables from sliding through the grill rack.
- 1medium onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1medium green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2teaspoons Italian seasoning, divided
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 10ounces 93%-lean ground turkey
- 2links sweet or hot turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1/4cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2teaspoon garlic powder
- 4slices provolone cheese
- 4small whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- Place a grill basket on one side of grill. Preheat to medium-high.
- Toss onion, bell pepper, oil, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning and pepper in a large bowl. Transfer to the preheated grill basket. Cook, stirring a few times, until the vegetables are soft, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine ground turkey, sausage, breadcrumbs, fennel seeds, garlic powder and the remaining 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning in a medium bowl. Shape into four 4-inch patties. Oil the grill rack, place the burgers on it and cook for 4 minutes. Turn them over, top with the grilled vegetables and cheese; continue grilling until the burgers are cooked through and the cheese is melted, 4 to 6 minutes more. Serve on buns.
Oiling a grill rack before you grill foods helps ensure that the food won’t stick. Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to coat the food with cooking spray.
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||6g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.