Here’s a version of chicken tortilla soup that’s both super-easy and delicious. To make it even quicker, use crumbled baked tortilla chips in place of the homemade tortilla strips and skip Steps 1-2. Serve with vinegary coleslaw, lime wedges and hot sauce.
6 servings, about 1 1/3 cups each
- 8corn tortillas, halved and thinly sliced
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- 1tablespoon canola oil
- 3Anaheim or poblano peppers, diced
- 1medium onion, diced
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 1pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 114-ounce can diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 2tablespoons lime juice
- 1/2cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Spread tortilla strips in an even layer on a baking sheet and coat with cooking spray. Bake until browned and crispy, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add peppers and onion and cook, stirring, until the onion begins to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Add cumin and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add chicken, broth, tomatoes and their juice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in lime juice. Serve each portion topped with some of the baked tortilla strips, Cheddar and cilantro.
To quickly trim boneless, skinless chicken thighs, use kitchen shears to snip the fat away from the meat.
Per serving (recipe makes 6 servings, about 1 1/3 cups each)
|Mono Saturated Fat||4g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.