Tex-Mex Black Bean & Quinoa Bowl
Skip the tortillas and layer your taco fillings onto protein-rich quinoa in this healthy vegetarian bowl dinner recipe. Top with a dollop of yogurt or sour cream and a splash of your favorite hot sauce.
- 1 1/2cups water
- 1cup quinoa
- 1teaspoon ground cumin
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 2 teaspoons, divided
- 2tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 1/2cups very thinly sliced cabbage (about 1/4 medium head)
- 1/2cup finely chopped red onion
- 1medium poblano pepper, chopped
- 115-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 2teaspoons chili powder
- 1cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2cup salsa
- Bring water and quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and stir in cumin. Partially cover and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk 2 tablespoons oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add cabbage and onion; toss to coat.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add poblano and cook, stirring, until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in beans and chili powder; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 2 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- To serve, layer in each bowl: 3/4 cup quinoa, 1/2 cup bean mixture and 1/4 cup cheese. Top each portion with 3/4 cup cabbage salad and 2 tablespoons salsa.
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||11g|