Supreme Pizza Soup
Perfect for picky kids (or pizza-lovers of any age), this soup is a nutritious, veggie-packed meal that tastes like pizza, but can be eaten with a spoon. Top with grated Parmesan cheese.
- 1pound bulk Italian sausage
- 23.5-ounce packages sliced pepperoni, chopped
- 2tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 28-ounce packages fresh button mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1cup chopped red onion (1 large)
- 3/4cup chopped red bell pepper (1 medium)
- 3/4cup chopped green bell pepper (1 medium)
- 2tablespoons bottled minced garlic or minced roasted garlic
- 1teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 614.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 214.5-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2cup pitted black olives, halved
- 1tablespoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1package prepared croutons
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat about 10 minutes or until brown, using a wooden spoon to break up meat as it cooks. Using a slotted spoon, remove sausage from skillet and drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, add pepperoni; cook over medium heat about 5 minutes or until pepperoni starts to crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove from skillet and drain on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Meanwhile, in an 8- to 10-quart Dutch oven heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-low heat. Add mushrooms, red onion, red bell pepper and green bell pepper; cook about 10 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally. Push vegetables aside with a wooden spoon and add remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil to the bottom of the Dutch oven; add garlic and crushed red pepper flakes to the oil and cook 30 seconds or until garlic is aromatic, stirring frequently.
- To the vegetable mixture, add tomatoes, broth, sausage, pepperoni, olives and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with cheese and top with croutons.
Per serving (recipe makes 18 cups)
|Mono Saturated Fat||10g|