Spaghetti with Quick Meat Sauce
Instead of opening a jar of sauce, try this easy spaghetti with meat sauce on a weeknight. The recipe makes enough for 8 servings. If you’re serving only four for dinner, cook 8 ounces of spaghetti and freeze the leftover sauce.
8 cups pasta and about 6 cups sauce
- 1pound whole-wheat spaghetti
- 2teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1large onion, finely chopped
- 1large carrot, finely chopped
- 1stalk celery, finely chopped
- 4cloves garlic, minced
- 1tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1pound lean (90% or leaner) ground beef
- 128-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/2cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is beginning to brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and Italian seasoning; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beef and cook, stirring and breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Increase heat to high. Stir in tomatoes and cook until thickened, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in parsley and salt.
- Serve the sauce over the pasta, sprinkled with cheese.
To make ahead: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
Per serving (recipe makes 8 cups pasta and about 6 cups sauce)
|Mono Saturated Fat||3.56g|
|Trans Fatty Acid||0g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.