Spaghetti Squash & Chicken with Avocado Pesto
Give pesto pasta a healthy makeover with this easy recipe that combines low-carb spaghetti squash with high-protein chicken breast. Top this powerhouse combo with homemade basil pesto that gets a creamy upgrade from ripe avocados to complete a mouthwatering chicken dinner.
- 12 1/2- to 3-pound spaghetti squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1ripe avocado
- 1cup packed basil leaves
- 1/4cup unsalted shelled pistachios
- 2tablespoons lemon juice
- 1clove garlic
- 3/4teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2teaspoon ground pepper, divided
- 5tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Place squash, cut-side down, on one side of the prepared pan. Bake until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine avocado, basil, pistachios, lemon juice, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add 4 tablespoons oil and process until smooth.
- Ten minutes before the squash is done, toss chicken, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper together in a medium bowl. Spread the chicken in an even layer on the empty side of the baking sheet. Return to the oven and bake until just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Using a fork, scrape the squash from the shells into a large bowl. Add the chicken and toss gently to combine. Serve topped with the pesto.
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||21g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.