Southwestern Steak Salad
This steak salad recipe is packed with fresh summer corn, ripe tomatoes and silky avocado. It might be hard to imagine that this healthy dinner can be whipped up so quickly but the secret is in the timing. While the steak is cooking under the broiler, you’ll have plenty of time to whisk together the lightened-up creamy chipotle dressing and assemble the rest of the salad. Serve with crumbled tortilla chips for an extra crunch.
- 1pound flank steak, trimmed
- 1 1/2teaspoons ground cumin
- 3/4teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 6tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2tablespoons white vinegar
- 1tablespoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 6cups sliced romaine lettuce
- 1 1/2cups corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 1firm ripe avocado, diced
- 2medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1/2cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Position oven rack about 3 inches from heat source; preheat broiler to high. Coat a broiler-safe pan with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle steak with cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Place on the prepared pan and broil, turning once, until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part registers 125°-130°F for medium-rare, 3 to 6 minutes per side. Let rest for 5 minutes. Thinly slice across the grain, then chop into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, whisk sour cream, oil, vinegar, chipotles to taste and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Transfer 4 tablespoons of the dressing to a small bowl. Add romaine, corn and avocado to the large bowl; toss to coat. Divide the salad and tomato wedges among 4 plates. Top each with cheese, the chopped steak and 1 tablespoon of the reserved dressing.
Chipotle chile peppers in adobo sauce are smoked jalapeños packed in a flavorful, spicy sauce. Look for the small cans with Mexican foods at large supermarkets. Once opened, they’ll keep for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||15g|