Smoked Turkey, Kale & Rice Bake
This hearty one-skillet dinner is loaded with celery, kale, tomatoes and quick-cooking brown rice. It’s easy to make the recipe vegetarian by substituting smoked tofu for the turkey.
6 servings, about 1 1/3 cups each
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2cups thinly sliced leeks, white and light green parts only
- 1cup thinly sliced celery
- 4cups slivered kale leaves
- 128-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1cup low-fat, no-salt-added cottage cheese
- 1cup instant or quick-cooking brown rice
- 6ounces smoked turkey breast or smoked tofu, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4cup water
- 1teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Heat oil in a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Add kale and tomatoes and cook, stirring, until the kale begins to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cottage cheese, rice, turkey (or tofu), water and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler.
- Stir the rice mixture, increase the heat to medium and cook, uncovered, until most of the liquid has evaporated, 10 to 12 minutes. Spread cheese on top. Broil until the cheese is bubbling, 2 to 3 minutes.
Per serving (recipe makes 6 servings, about 1 1/3 cups each)
|Mono Saturated Fat||4g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.