Slow-Cooker Shredded Beef Tacos with Pico de Gallo
Use your crock pot for perfectly tender beef in this easy taco recipe. The quick fresh pico de gallo adds crunch, flavor and color, but your favorite fresh salsa will make a great taco topper in a pinch.
4 3/4 to 8 3/4 hours
- 3tablespoons chili powder
- 1tablespoon dried oregano
- 1tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2teaspoon garlic powder
- 3pounds beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1large onion, halved and sliced
- 1cup low-sodium beef broth
- 3tablespoons tomato paste
- 16corn tortillas
- Lime wedges for serving
Pico de Gallo
- 3/4cup diced tomato (about 1 medium)
- 1/2cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4cup finely diced red onion
- 1jalapeño pepper, seeded if desired, finely diced
- 1tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- To prepare beef: Combine chili powder, oregano, cumin, salt, cayenne and garlic powder in a small bowl. Sprinkle beef with 2 tablespoons of the mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned on all sides, 5 to 6 minutes total.
- Place onion in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add the beef. Whisk broth, tomato paste and the remaining spice mixture together and pour over the beef.
- Cook on High for 4 hours or Low for 8 hours. Shred the beef with 2 forks and stir back into the liquid.
- To prepare pico de gallo: Combine tomato, cilantro, red onion, jalapeño, lime juice and salt in a medium bowl.
- Serve the beef with tortillas, the pico de gallo and lime wedges.
To make ahead: Prepare beef (Steps 1-4) and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
Equipment: 5- to 6-quart slow cooker
Per serving (recipe makes 8 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||7.21g|
|Trans Fatty Acid||0.04g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.