Slow-Cooker Quinoa-Summer Squash Casserole
As this layered slow-cooker squash casserole recipe cooks, the liquid from the tangy tomatillo salsa and summer squash is absorbed by the quinoa, adding tons of flavor to the final dish.
4 hrs on Low
- 12ounces tomatillos, husked, rinsed and chopped
- 1pint cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1poblano or bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2cup finely chopped white onion
- 1tablespoon lime juice
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1cup quinoa
- 1cup crumbled cotija or feta cheese, divided
- 2pounds small yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- Combine tomatillos, tomatoes, pepper, onion, lime juice and salt in a medium bowl.
- Coat a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Layer quinoa, 1/3 cup cheese and all of the squash in the slow cooker. Top with another 1/3 cup cheese. Spread the tomatillo mixture on top; but don’t stir the ingredients together. (Refrigerate the remaining cheese to use for the topping.)
- Cover and cook on Low for 4 hours. Serve sprinkled with oregano and the remaining 1/3 cup cheese.
5- to 6-quart slow cooker
Per serving (recipe makes 10 servngs)
|Mono Saturated Fat||0g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.