This makeover of a Midwestern classic tops layers of lettuce, peas, bell pepper and tomatoes with a creamy, tangy dressing. The salad stays fresh underneath until it’s served and gets even better when held overnight.
10 servings, about 1 cup each
- 8cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1medium yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1cup halved grape tomatoes or quartered cherry tomatoes
- 1cup sliced celery
- 1/2cup sliced scallions
- 3/4cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3/4cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 2teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1teaspoons sugar
- 1/4teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- 1/2cup thinly sliced fresh basil
- 3strips cooked bacon, crumbled
- Place lettuce in a large bowl. Layer peas, bell pepper, tomatoes, celery and scallions on top.
- Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar to taste, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until smooth. Spread the dressing evenly over the top of the salad (an offset spatula is handy for this, if you have one). Sprinkle with cheese, basil and bacon. Serve room temperature or chilled.
Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Sprinkle with basil just before serving.
Per serving (recipe makes 10 servings, about 1 cup each)
|Mono Saturated Fat||0g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.