Raspberry-Chocolate Thumbprint Cookies
These cookies taste decadent, yet are made with ingredients that have healthful benefits: oats, almonds, fruit and chocolate. The thumbprints are versatile as well - use a different type of filling or different extracts to create a completely different cookie.
about 2 dozen cookies
- 1cup whole almonds
- 1 1/2cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2cup oat flour
- 2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/3cup light oil, such as safflower or canola
- 1/3cup maple syrup
- 1/4cup apple juice
- 1teaspoon almond extract
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3cup chocolate chips, preferably bittersweet
- 2tablespoons raspberry preserves
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- Process almonds in a blender in 2 batches until finely ground. Transfer to a large bowl and add whole-wheat flour, oat flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk oil, maple syrup, apple juice, almond and vanilla extracts in a medium bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; stir to combine. Use your hands to knead the dough together; add 1 to 2 tablespoons additional apple juice if the mixture is too crumbly.
- Form level tablespoonfuls of dough into balls and place on the prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Gently flatten each ball into a disk, then make an indentation in the center using your thumb or a small spoon. Place a few chocolate chips in each indentation, then cover with 1/4 teaspoon preserves.
- Bake the cookies, one batch at a time, until golden around the edges, 15 to 17 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Oat flour is made from finely milled whole oats. To make your own, grind oats in a blender or food processor until they’re the texture of flour.
Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Per serving (recipe makes about 2 dozen cookies)
|Mono Saturated Fat||4g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.