Quick Chicken Parmesan
Ooey-gooey cheese, crispy breadcrumbs and plenty of sauce are the hallmarks of any good chicken Parmesan recipe, and this one-skillet version of chicken parm is no exception. Serve with whole-wheat pasta to soak up the extra sauce.
4 servings, 3 ounces chicken & 2/3 cup sauce each
- 28-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 3/4teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1/2cup coarse dry breadcrumbs, preferably whole-wheat
- 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1medium onion, chopped
- 3cloves garlic, minced
- 128-ounce can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4cup chopped fresh basil or parsley
- Cut each chicken breast in half on the diagonal to make 4 roughly equal portions. Place between pieces of plastic wrap and pound with the smooth side of a meat mallet or a heavy saucepan to an even 1/4-inch thickness. Sprinkle the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Combine breadcrumbs and 1 tablespoon oil in a small bowl; set aside.
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler to high.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large, ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken and cook until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Reduce the heat to medium and repeat with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil and chicken. Transfer the chicken to the plate.
- Add onion and garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Pour in crushed tomatoes; add Italian seasoning and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Return the pan to medium heat and cook, stirring, until the onions are tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Return the chicken and any accumulated juices to the pan. Turn to coat with the sauce.
- Sprinkle about 1/4 cup of cheese over each piece of chicken, then top with the reserved breadcrumb mixture. Broil until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute. (Watch carefully to prevent burning.) Serve the chicken with the sauce, sprinkled with basil (or parsley).
To make your own fresh breadcrumbs, trim crusts from whole-wheat bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. To make fine breadcrumbs, process until very fine. To make dry breadcrumbs, spread coarse or fine breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and bake at 250°F until dry, about 10 to 15 minutes. One slice of bread makes about 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs or about 1/3 cup dry breadcrumbs.
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings, 3 ounces chicken & 2/3 cup sauce each)
|Mono Saturated Fat||10g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.