Meal-Prep Cilantro-Lime Chicken Bowls
Prep all four servings of this easy recipe at once for ready-to-eat dinners or packable lunches for the rest of the week. If you don't like a lot of heat, try using mild chili powder, and leave out the jalapeño from the rice.
- 1pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2teaspoon chipotle chile powder or mild chili powder
- 1/4teaspoon ground pepper
- 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1medium red onion, sliced
- 1red bell pepper, sliced
- 1green bell pepper, sliced
- 2cups cooked brown rice
- 1medium tomato, chopped
- 1tablespoon chopped jalapeño pepper (optional)
- 115-ounce can reduced-sodium black beans, rinsed
- 1/2cup crumbled queso fresco (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1lime, cut into 4 wedges
- Toss chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt, chipotle (or chili) powder and pepper in a medium bowl. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a clean bowl and let cool slightly. Toss with cilantro and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add onion, red pepper, green pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have softened and are beginning to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat if vegetables are getting too dark.
- Combine rice, tomato, jalapeno, if using, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl.
- To assemble: Divide equal portions of black beans, the chicken mixture, bell pepper mixture and rice mixture among 4 microwave-safe containers. Top each with queso fresco and a lime wedge. Refrigerate until ready to use (up to 4 days).
- To reheat, remove the lime wedge. Microwave each container on High for 1 to 2 minutes, or until heated through. Squeeze the lime wedge over the top.
Prepare through Step 4 and refrigerate for up to 4 days.
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||10g|