Kale, Carrot & Apple Salad
Emerald-green lacinato kale is the star of this healthy kale salad, tossed with an easy maple, mustard and apple cider vinaigrette and studded with crisp apples. Toss or massage the kale with the dressing about 30 minutes before you’re ready to serve. The sturdy kale leaves won’t wilt from the dressing and will taste even better after they’ve been marinated in it.
- 1small shallot, chopped
- 1/4cup cider vinegar
- 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2tablespoons apple cider
- 1 1/2tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 2teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Ground pepper to taste
- 10cups coarsely chopped lacinato kale (1-2 large bunches)
- 2sweet-tart apples, such as Golden Russet or Jonagold, cut into matchsticks
- 3cups matchstick-cut carrots
- 1cup matchstick-cut radishes
- 3/4cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- To prepare vinaigrette: Puree shallot, vinegar, oil, cider, mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper in a blender or mini food processor until smooth and creamy.
- To prepare salad: Toss kale, apples, carrots, radishes and parsley in a large bowl. Drizzle with the dressing; toss to coat.
Cover and refrigerate the dressing (Step 1) for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before tossing with the salad. Dress the salad (Step 2) up to 30 minutes ahead.
Per serving (recipe makes 12 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||3g|