This method produces all the good looks and moist flavor you dream of in a Thanksgiving turkey. Make sure you show this beauty off at the table before you carve it. Garnish your serving platter with fresh herb sprigs and citrus wedges.
12 servings, 3 ounces each, plus plenty of leftovers
3 1/2 hours
- 110-12-pound turkey
- 1/4cup fresh herbs plus 20 whole sprigs, such as thyme, rosemary, sage, oregano and/or marjoram, divided
- 2tablespoons canola oil
- 1teaspoon salt
- 1teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Aromatics: onion, apple, lemon and/or orange, cut into 2-inch pieces (1 1/2 cups)
- 3cups water plus more as needed
- Position a rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat to 475°F.
- Remove giblets and neck from turkey cavities and reserve for making gravy. Place the turkey, breast-side up, on a rack in a large roasting pan; pat dry with paper towels. Mix minced herbs, oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the herb mixture all over the turkey, under the skin and onto the breast meat. Place aromatics and 10 of the herb sprigs in the cavity. Tuck the wing tips under the turkey. Tie the legs together with kitchen string. Add 3 cups water and the remaining 10 herb sprigs to the pan.
- Roast the turkey until the skin is golden brown, 45 minutes.
- Remove the turkey from the oven. If using a remote digital thermometer, insert it into the deepest part of the thigh, close to the joint. Cover the breast with a double layer of foil, cutting as necessary to conform to the breast. Reduce oven temperature to 350° and continue roasting for 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 hours more. If the pan dries out, tilt the turkey to let juices run out of the cavity into the pan and add 1 cup water. The turkey is done when an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh without touching bone registers 165°F.
- Transfer the turkey to a serving platter and cover with foil. Let the turkey rest for 20 minutes. Remove string and carve.
Per serving (recipe makes 12 servings, 3 ounces each, plus plenty of leftovers)
|Mono Saturated Fat||2g|