Hearty Kale Salad
A riff on the classic warm spinach-and-bacon salad, this recipe features thin ribbons of kale instead. Any variety of kale works, but flatter-leaf lacinato kale makes it extra-special.
4 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
- 6cups very thinly sliced kale (about 1/2 large bunch), tough stems removed
- 2hard-boiled eggs, coarsely chopped
- 2slices center-cut bacon
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2cup chopped onion
- 1 1/2cups sliced button mushrooms
- 2tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2teaspoons whole-grain mustard
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- Place kale and eggs in a large bowl.
- Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Leaving the bacon fat in the pan, transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate. Chop when cool enough to handle.
- Add oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes more. Remove from the heat and stir in vinegar, mustard, pepper and salt. Pour the mushroom mixture over the kale and eggs. Add the bacon and toss to combine.
To hard-boil eggs, place eggs in a single layer in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and cook at the barest simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, drain and cover the eggs with ice-cold water; let stand until completely cooled.
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each)
|Mono Saturated Fat||7g|