Grilling watermelon brings out its natural sweetness that's complemented by adding some simple sweet or savory toppings. Try this easy grilled watermelon recipe for a fun and festive summer appetizer or dessert.
- 1small seedless watermelon (about 4 pounds)
- 3tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to high (450°F to 500°F).
- Trim and discard 1/2 inch from each end of watermelon. Stand the watermelon up on 1 cut end; cut lengthwise into quarters. Cut each quarter into 1-inch slices. Sprinkle the slices evenly on both sides with sugar and salt.
- Oil the grill grates (oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack; do not use cooking spray on a hot grill). Place the watermelon slices on the oiled grates; grill, uncovered, until grill marks appear, about 3 minutes per side. Top the grilled watermelon evenly with 1 of the suggested topping combos, if desired.
- Toppings: 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder & 1 teaspoon grated lime zest OR 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese & 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze OR 1/4 cup chopped unsalted dry-roasted pistachios & 2 ounces melted white chocolate
Per serving (recipe makes 10 servings)
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.