Grilled Filet Mignon with Herb Butter & Texas Toasts
This dish is simply luxurious: grilled beef tenderloin smothered in a vibrant herb butter served on top of a garlicky slab of whole-grain toast. And yes, with only about 303 calories and 14 grams of fat total, this steakhouse-worthy entree can be part of a healthy diet. If you like, make extra herb butter to top chicken, fish or even a grilled pork chop.
- 1tablespoon whipped or regular butter, slightly softened
- 3teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1tablespoon minced fresh chives or shallot
- 1tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 3teaspoons minced fresh marjoram or oregano, divided
- 1teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest, divided
- 1teaspoon lemon juice
- 3/4teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 2cloves garlic (1 minced, 1 peeled and halved)
- 1pound filet mignon, about 1 1/2 inches thick, trimmed and cut into 4 portions
- 4slices whole-grain bread
- 4cups watercress, trimmed and chopped
- Preheat grill to high.
- Mash butter in a small bowl with the back of a spoon until soft and creamy. Stir in 2 teaspoons oil until combined. Add chives (or shallot), capers, 1 teaspoon marjoram (or oregano), 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Cover and place in the freezer to chill.
- Combine the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, 2 teaspoons marjoram (or oregano), 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper, rosemary and minced garlic in a small bowl. Rub on both sides of steak. Rub both sides of bread with the halved garlic clove; discard the garlic.
- Grill the steak 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Grill the bread until toasted, 30 seconds to 1 minute per side. Divide watercress among 4 plates. Place 1 toast on each serving of watercress and top with steak. Spread the herb butter on top of the steaks and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Prepare herb butter (Step 2), wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for up to 1 month.
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||6g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.