Double Corn-Blueberry Cobbler
The hallmark of a cobbler is a biscuit topping baked right on top of the fruit. Here blueberries (or blackberries) and corn make a fun match. The sunny cornmeal batter comes together quickly and looks gorgeous on top of the deep-dark fruit filling. We like the rustic texture of medium- or coarse-ground cornmeal, but any type works.
1 1/2 hours
- 4cups blueberries or blackberries (about 1 1/4 pounds), fresh or frozen
- 1/4cup sugar
- 1tablespoon white whole-wheat flour
- 1/4teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1tablespoon lemon juice
- 1cup white whole-wheat flour
- 3/4cup cornmeal, preferably medium- or coarse-ground
- 1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1large egg yolk
- 1/2cup buttermilk
- 1/4cup canola oil
- 3tablespoons sugar
- 1/2cup corn kernels, fresh, frozen (thawed) or canned (well-drained)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To prepare filling: Combine berries, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon flour, lemon zest and lemon juice in a large bowl. (If using frozen fruit, let stand for about 30 minutes, stirring
- occasionally, to thaw the fruit before transferring to the baking dish.) Transfer to a 9-inch shallow glass or ceramic baking dish.
- To prepare topping: Whisk 1 cup flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl until well blended. Whisk egg yolk, buttermilk, oil and 3 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir to blend. Fold in corn.
- Evenly spoon the batter on top of the berry mixture; the fruit will be almost completely covered with batter. Place the baking dish on a baking sheet to catch any drips. Bake until the berries are bubbly, the topping is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the topping comes out clean, 35 to 50 minutes. Let cool for about 20 minutes before serving.
White whole-wheat flour is made from hard white wheat berries, which makes it lighter in color and flavor than regular whole-wheat flour, but with the same nutritional properties. For the best flavor, store it airtight in the freezer.
Per serving (recipe makes 8 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||5g|