Chicken & Spinach Soup with Fresh Pesto
This fragrant, Italian-flavored soup takes advantage of quick-cooking ingredients—boneless, skinless chicken breast, bagged baby spinach and canned beans. It features a simple homemade basil pesto swirled in at the end to add a fresh herb flavor. If you are very pressed for time, you can substitute 3 to 4 tablespoons of a store-bought basil pesto. Recipe by Nancy Baggett for EatingWell.
5 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
- 2teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1/2cup carrot or diced red bell pepper
- 1large boneless, skinless chicken breast (about 8 ounces), cut into quarters
- 1large clove garlic, minced
- 5cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2teaspoons dried marjoram
- 6ounces baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 115-ounce can cannellini beans or great northern beans, rinsed
- 1/4cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3/4cup plain or herbed multigrain croutons for garnish (optional)
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add carrot (or bell pepper) and chicken; cook, turning the chicken and stirring frequently, until the chicken begins to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Stir in broth and marjoram; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken pieces to a clean cutting board to cool. Add spinach and beans to the pot and bring to a gentle boil. Cook for 5 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, Parmesan and basil in a food processor (a mini processor works well). Process until a coarse paste forms, adding a little water and scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Cut the chicken into bite-size pieces. Stir the chicken and pesto into the pot. Season with pepper. Heat until hot. Garnish with croutons, if desired.
Per serving (recipe makes 5 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each)
|Mono Saturated Fat||5g|