Broccoli, Ham & Pasta Salad
A great make-ahead entree, this lightened-up pasta salad is loaded with broccoli and peppers. Smoky ham and sweet raisins give it plenty of punch. Enjoy the leftovers for a fuss-free lunch. Recipe by Nancy Baggett for EatingWell.
5 servings, about 2 cups each
Creamy Herbed Dressing
- 1/2cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/3cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3tablespoons rice vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 1tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1tablespoon honey, or more to taste
- 1 1/2teaspoons dried minced onion or dried chopped chives
- 1 1/4teaspoons dried tarragon or dill
- 1/2teaspoon onion salt or celery salt or 1/4 teaspoon of each
- White pepper to taste
- 3cups cooked whole-wheat fusilli or similar pasta (about 6 ounces dry)
- 4cups chopped broccoli florets (about 1 1/2 large heads)
- 1 1/2cups diced ham (8 ounces), preferably reduced-sodium
- 1large red or yellow bell pepper (or a combination), diced
- 1/4cup diced red onion, plus slices for garnish
- 1/3cup raisins
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 4cups spinach leaves
- 1cup torn radicchio leaves
- To prepare dressing: Combine mayonnaise, yogurt, sour cream, vinegar, mustard, honey, onion (or chives), tarragon (or dill) and onion salt (and/or celery salt) in a bowl until well blended. Season with white pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings, if desired.
- To prepare salad: Combine pasta, broccoli, ham, bell pepper, diced onion and raisins in a large bowl. Add dressing and toss until evenly incorporated. Cover and refrigerate to blend the flavors for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 days.
- Serve on a bed of spinach and radicchio, garnished with slices of red onion.
Prepare through Step 2, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving (recipe makes 5 servings, about 2 cups each)
|Mono Saturated Fat||2g|