Braised Cauliflower & Squash Penne Pasta
In this braised cauliflower and squash penne pasta recipe, we cook the pasta and vegetables in broth rather than water to make this warming vegetarian pasta extra flavorful. The starch from the pasta and vegetables combines with the broth as it simmers and creates a silky sauce. And you can make the whole dish in just one pot, so cleanup is a breeze.
4 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each
- 1tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3large cloves garlic, minced
- 1teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4cups “no-chicken” broth or vegetable broth
- 8ounces whole-wheat penne (about 3 cups)
- 2cups 1-inch cauliflower florets
- 2cups 1-inch pieces peeled butternut squash
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4cup finely shredded Pecorino Romano cheese
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, thyme and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth, penne, cauliflower and squash. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to a lively simmer and cook, uncovered, until the pasta is tender and the liquid is thickened and greatly reduced, 14 to 16 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in pepper and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve topped with cheese.
In this vegetarian pasta, we like to use “no-chicken” broth (made from a vegetable base) for its rich flavor and pale golden color instead of darker vegetable broth.
For convenience, try using butternut squash that is already peeled and cubed.
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings, about 1 1/2 cups each)
|Mono Saturated Fat||3g|