Warm Chocolate Pudding
This warm pudding has a marvelous deep chocolaty flavor, but it’s low in fat and super-quick to make. Don’t skimp on the quality of cocoa with this one—treat yourself to the good stuff.
- 1large egg
- 2 1/4cups nonfat or low-fat milk, divided
- 3/5cup sugar, divided
- 1/8teaspoon salt
- 3/5cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2tablespoons cornstarch
- 1teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lightly beat egg with a fork in a medium bowl.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups milk, 1/3 cup sugar and salt in a medium saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, whisk the remaining 1/3 cup sugar, cocoa and cornstarch in a medium bowl. Whisk in the remaining 3/4 cup milk until blended. Whisk the simmering milk mixture into the cocoa mixture. Pour the mixture back into the pan and bring to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and glossy, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Whisk about 1 cup of the hot cocoa mixture into the beaten egg. Return the egg mixture to the pan and cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, until steaming and thickened, about 2 minutes. (Do not boil.) Whisk in vanilla. Serve warm.
Pour the pudding into a bowl and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface. Refrigerate for up to 3 days; serve cold.
Per serving (recipe makes 6 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||1g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.