Vidalia Onion & Cucumber Salad
For this old-fashioned Southern cucumber salad recipe, thin slices of cucumber and onion marinate just long enough to develop a touch of tanginess without any sharp bite. Serve with sweet dishes like barbecue to lend a refreshing balance.
- 1English cucumber (about 11 ounces)
- 1/2medium sweet onion, preferably Vidalia
- 2tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1/2teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2teaspoon ground pepper
- Using a vegetable peeler, shave off alternating strips of cucumber to create a striped effect. Thinly slice the cucumber and place in a bowl.
- Cut the onion very thinly crosswise with a knife or mandoline. Add to the cucumber. Drizzle with vinegar. Add dill, salt and pepper and gently stir to combine. Let stand for 15 minutes to briefly marinate. Gently stir again before serving.
Refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving (recipe makes 6 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||0.01g|
|Trans Fatty Acid||0g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.