Smothered Green Chile Breakfast Burritos
These breakfast burritos, packed with potatoes, bacon and scrambled eggs then topped with green chile sauce and Cheddar cheese, are a satisfying way to start your day.
Green Chile Sauce
- 2teaspoons canola oil
- 3/4cup minced onion
- 2cloves garlic, minced
- 1tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2cups chopped roasted mild-to-medium New Mexican green chiles, preferably fresh
- 2cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3slices bacon
- 1/2cup chopped onion
- 1clove garlic, minced
- 4cups precooked shredded potatoes or frozen hash browns
- 2large eggs, lightly beaten
- 68-inch whole-wheat tortillas, warmed if desired
- 3/4cup finely shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (4 ounces)
- To prepare sauce: Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add minced onion and 2 cloves garlic and cook, stirring, until very soft, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the mixture and cook, stirring, for 1 minute more. Add chiles and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook until thickened but still easily spoonable, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside.
- To prepare burritos: Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet, preferably cast-iron, over medium-high heat until crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Crumble when cooled.
- Add chopped onion and 1 clove garlic to the pan and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in potatoes. Pat the mixture down evenly and cook, without stirring, for 2 minutes. Scrape up the browned bits, pat back down again and continue cooking without stirring for about 2 minutes more. Repeat until the potatoes are golden brown with some crisp edges, about 2 minutes more.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir 1/4 cup sauce and eggs into the potato mixture and cook, stirring frequently, until the eggs are just set, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the bacon and remove from the heat.
- Divide the potato-egg mixture among tortillas. Roll each into a burrito and arrange seam-down on plates or a platter. Reheat the sauce, spoon over the burritos and sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.
To make your own precooked shredded potatoes, halve 1 pound unpeeled baking potatoes; cook in lightly salted boiling water until slightly tender but still firm in the center, 7 to 10 minutes. Let cool on a clean cutting board. Shred using the large holes of a box grater.
To warm corn tortillas, wrap a stack of tortillas in barely damp paper towels; microwave on High for 30 to 45 seconds. Or wrap stacks of 4 tortillas in foil; place in a 375°F oven for 10 to 15 minutes. Wrap tortillas in a clean towel to keep warm.
Cover and refrigerate the sauce (Step 1) for up to 3 days.
Per serving (recipe makes 6 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||5g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.