Roasted Red Pepper Guacamole
If you have the time, roast your own red bell pepper for this easy guacamole. If you’re strapped for time, the jarred version works well too.
about 2 cups
- 2very ripe medium avocados, halved, seeded, peeled and cut up
- 1tablespoon lime juice
- 1red bell pepper, halved, seeded, roasted and chopped, or 1/2 cup chopped roasted red pepper
- 6tablespoons finely chopped green onions (3)
- 1tablespoons chopped, seeded jalapeño pepper or 2 to 3 teaspoons chopped, seeded serrano chile
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a medium bowl, combine avocados and lime juice. Using a potato masher, coarsely mash avocado mixture (mixture should be slightly lumpy).
- Stir roasted pepper, green onions, jalapeño (or serranos), salt, black pepper and cayenne into avocado mixture. Serve immediately or cover surface tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 hours.
Tip: Fresh chile peppers contain volatile oils that can burn your skin and eyes, so avoid direct contact with them as much as possible. When working with fresh chile peppers, wear disposable plastic or rubber gloves. If your bare hands do touch the chiles, wash your hands and nails thoroughly with soap and hot water. If you get chile oil in your eyes, flush them with cool water.
Per serving (recipe makes about 2 cups)
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.