Grilled Filet Mignon with Vegetable Kebabs
You might be tempted to save beef filet for special occasions, but this low-fat cut is actually perfect weekday fare: it cooks up fast, stays juicy and carries other flavors perfectly. The kebabs are a wonderful mix of lemon, herbs and fresh vegetables.
- 1lemon, zested and juiced
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 16cherry tomatoes
- 10ounces white mushrooms, stemmed
- 1medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1small red onion, cut into wedges
- 1pound filet mignon steak, 1 1/2 to 2 inches thick, cut into 4 pieces
- Preheat grill to high.
- Combine lemon zest, lemon juice, oil, oregano, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the marinade in a small bowl. Add tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini and onion to the remaining marinade; toss well to coat. Thread the vegetables onto eight 10-inch skewers. Drizzle the vegetables and steak with the reserved marinade.
- Grill the steak 4 to 6 minutes per side for medium. Grill the vegetable kebabs, turning frequently, until tender and lightly charred, 8 to 12 minutes total. Remove the vegetables from the skewers and serve with the steak.
Tip: To prevent wooden skewers from burning on the grill, wrap the exposed portion in foil before grilling. (Contrary to popular wisdom, soaking them in water doesn’t prevent them from burning.)
Equipment: Eight 10-inch skewers
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||8.41g|
|Trans Fatty Acid||0g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.