Fusilli with Yellow Squash & Grape Tomatoes
For this healthy and quick pasta recipe, corkscrew-shaped pasta, fusilli, is tossed with silky sautéed summer squash, ripe red tomatoes and fresh thyme. Serve with a green salad with vinaigrette and crusty whole-grain bread.
- 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1medium sweet yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1pound yellow summer squash
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2teaspoon salt plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1/4teaspoon ground pepper
- 2cups grape tomatoes (about 6 ounces), halved lengthwise
- 12ounces fusilli or other corkscrew-shaped pasta
- Put 2 quarts of water on to boil in a large pot.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly brown, 4 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if the yellow squash has a “crookneck,” cut off the neck, halve it lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices; quarter the wider part lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices. If the squash is shaped like a zucchini, quarter it lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices.
- When the onion is lightly brown, add the squash, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the squash releases most of its liquid and begins to brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to break down, 4 to 6 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining 1 tablespoon salt to the boiling water, stir in pasta and cook according to package instructions until just tender. Drain well and toss with the sauce. Serve at once.
Per serving (recipe makes 6 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||5.6g|
|Trans Fatty Acid||0g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.