Creamy Blueberry-Pecan Oatmeal
In this satisfying, on-the-go oatmeal recipe, protein-rich Greek yogurt, crunchy pecans and sweet berries make this the perfect healthy breakfast. Short on time in the morning? Try our overnight oatmeal variation.
- 1cup water
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2cup blueberries, fresh or frozen, thawed
- 2tablespoons nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1tablespoon toasted chopped pecans
- 2teaspoons pure maple syrup
- Bring water and salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in oats, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let stand 2 to 3 minutes. Top with blueberries, yogurt, pecans and syrup.
People with celiac disease or gluten-sensitivity should use oats that are labeled “gluten-free,” as oats are often cross-contaminated with wheat and barley.
Overnight oats variation, combine 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats with 1/2 cup water and a pinch of salt in a jar or bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, add toppings, as desired. Eat cold or heat up. Makes about 1 cup.
Steel-cut oats variation, bring 1 cup water and a pinch of salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Add 1/3 cup steel-cut oats, reduce heat to a bare simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, 2 to 3 minutes. Add toppings. Makes about 3/4 cup.
Per serving (recipe makes 1 serving)
|Mono Saturated Fat||4g|