Corn with Bacon & Mushrooms
This simple combination of corn, mushrooms and bacon goes with everything from burgers to lightly scrambled eggs and toast.
6 servings, about 2/3 cup each
- 2slices bacon
- 1/2cup thinly sliced shallots
- 3cups sliced mixed mushrooms, such as oyster, shiitake and/or baby bella
- 4ears corn, kernels cut from cob
- 1/4cup water
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 1/4teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and chop.
- Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat from the pan. Add shallots and cook, stirring, until softened, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they begin to release their juices, about 3 minutes more. Add corn kernels and water and cook until the corn is tender-crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in chopped bacon and season with salt and pepper.
To remove corn kernels from the cob, stand an ear on its stem end and slice the kernels off with a sharp knife. To extract the corn “milk” (for sauces, soups or puddings), after cutting the kernels off, press the dull side of the knife down the length of the ear to push out the rest of the corn and its milk. You’ll get about 1 cup fresh kernels from one large ear of corn.
Per serving (recipe makes 6 servings, about 2/3 cup each)
|Mono Saturated Fat||1g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.