Chili-Topped Sweet Potatoes
Transform ordinary baked potatoes into a full dinner with these chili-topped spuds. In this recipe, we use sweet potatoes for an added nutrient kick. Sprinkle on extra toppings as you see fit—sliced scallions, chopped fresh cilantro, diced avocado and sliced jalapeños are all tasty choices.
- 1pound lean ground beef
- 3/4cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/2cup finely chopped red bell pepper
- 4cloves garlic, chopped
- 2tablespoons chili powder
- 1tablespoon ground cumin
- 2teaspoons dried oregano
- 1teaspoon ground coriander
- 114-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1/4cup water
- 4medium sweet potatoes
- 1/2cup shredded cheese, such as Cheddar or pepper Jack
- Cook beef, onion, bell pepper and garlic in a large skillet over medium-high heat, crumbling the beef with a spatula, until the meat is browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in chili powder, cumin, oregano and coriander; cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add tomatoes (with their juice) and water and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prick sweet potatoes with a fork in several places. Microwave on High until tender all the way through, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve the sweet potatoes topped with the chili and cheese.
Refrigerate chili (Step 1) for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||6g|
|Trans Fatty Acid||1g|