A combination of brown sugar and apple juice makes these easy candied carrots sweet but not cloying. Chopped fresh thyme brightens the flavor in this classic side dish, but feel free to omit it if you want an even simpler dish. Serve with chicken, turkey or pork.
- 2 1/2pounds medium carrots, sliced diagonally into 1/4-inch-thick slices (6 1/2 cups)
- 3cups water
- 3tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2tablespoons unsweetened apple juice
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 3/4teaspoon salt
- 1/2teaspoon ground pepper
- Place carrots and water in a large skillet; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; simmer, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are tender when pierced with a fork, about 10 minutes. Drain the carrots and return to the pan.
- Add butter, brown sugar, apple juice, thyme, salt and pepper to the carrots in the pan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the butter melts and the liquid thickens and coats the carrots, 2 to 3 minutes. Serve hot.
Per serving (recipe makes 8 servings)
|Trans Fatty Acid||51.84g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.