Braised Winter Vegetable Pasta
In this vegetable-studded vegan dish we braise cauliflower, butternut squash and pasta in white wine and broth in an unconventional technique that yields delicious results. Serve with a spinach salad with red onion, orange segments and a light vinaigrette.
4 servings, about 2 cups each
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1small onion, diced
- 4cloves garlic, minced
- 1tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage, rubbed
- 4cups vegetable broth
- 1cup dry white wine
- 8ounces whole-wheat medium pasta shells or other small pasta
- 2cups bite-size cauliflower florets
- 2cups bite-size butternut squash cubes
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 110-ounce bag frozen lima beans, thawed
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and sage and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add broth and wine; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add pasta, cauliflower, squash, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is not quite tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in lima beans and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lima beans and pasta are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes more.
Per serving (recipe makes 4 servings, about 2 cups each)
|Mono Saturated Fat||6g|
© Meredith Operations Corporation. All rights reserved. Used with permission.