Chickpea Curry (Chhole)
Made with convenient canned beans, this quick and healthy Indian recipe is an authentic chickpea curry that you can make in minutes. If you want an additional vegetable, stir in some roasted cauliflower florets. Serve with brown basmati rice or warm naan.
- 1medium serrano pepper, cut into thirds
- 4large cloves garlic
- 12-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1medium yellow onion, chopped (1-inch)
- 6tablespoons canola oil or grapeseed oil
- 2teaspoons ground coriander
- 2teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 1/4cups no-salt-added canned diced tomatoes with their juice (from a 28-ounce can)
- 3/4teaspoon kosher salt
- 215-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed
- 2teaspoons garam masala
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Pulse serrano, garlic and ginger in a food processor until minced. Scrape down the sides and pulse again. Add onion; pulse until finely chopped, but not watery.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add coriander, cumin and turmeric and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Pulse tomatoes in the food processor until finely chopped. Add to the pan along with salt. Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4 minutes. Add chickpeas and garam masala, reduce heat to a gentle simmer, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes more. Serve topped with cilantro, if desired.
Per serving (recipe makes 6 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||9g|