Jerk Chicken Pockets
These tasty sweet potato and jerk chicken “pockets” are spiced up with jerk seasoning, a Caribbean spice blend that typically contains allspice, thyme and hot pepper. The spice combo and heat level vary widely among brands. Experiment and find the one you prefer. Look for jerk seasoning in the spice section of most supermarkets.
- 1medium sweet potato (about 12 ounces)
- 1pound prepared pizza dough, preferably whole-wheat
- 1/4cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1jalapeño pepper, minced
- 2tablespoons water
- 1tablespoon jerk seasoning
- 6ounces cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1/4cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/4cup raisins
- 2teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Prick sweet potato in several places with a fork. Wrap it in wax paper or parchment paper and microwave on High until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Cut in half. When it is just cool enough to handle, peel and dice.
- Meanwhile, shape the dough on a lightly floured surface into a log about 10 inches long. Divide into 5 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 5-inch square with a rolling pin or press into a square with your hands.
- Whisk mayonnaise, jalapeño, water and jerk seasoning in a medium bowl. Stir in chicken, scallions, raisins and the sweet potato.
- Spread about 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture on half of each dough square, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Fold the dough over the filling and pat it to create a rectangle, then use a fork to crimp the edges closed. Transfer the chicken pockets to the prepared baking sheet and brush the tops with oil.
- Bake the pockets until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
To poach chicken breasts, place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a medium skillet or saucepan and add lightly salted water to cover; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 10 to 15 minutes. (1 pound raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts = about 2 1/2 cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken)
Cover and refrigerate the filling (Steps 2 & 4) for up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature while you roll out the dough.
Per serving (recipe makes 5 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||3g|