Holiday Pumpkin Pie
This lighter pumpkin pie has the rich, subtle spices of the classic and a delicate, faintly sweet crust.
4 hours (including cooling time)
- 3/4cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4cup all-purpose flour
- 1tablespoon sugar
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 2tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3tablespoons canola oil
- 3tablespoons ice water
- 115-ounce can unseasoned pumpkin puree
- 1teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4teaspoon salt
- 114-ounce can low-fat sweetened condensed milk
- 2large eggs, lightly beaten
- To prepare crust: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar and salt in a medium bowl. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook, swirling the butter, until it’s light brown, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer to a small bowl to cool. Stir in oil. Slowly stir the butter-oil mixture into the dry ingredients with a fork until the dough is crumbly. Gradually stir in ice water, adding enough so the dough holds together and feels moist. Press the dough into a flattened disk.
- Overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a work surface, place the dough in the center and cover with 2 more overlapping sheets of plastic wrap. Roll the dough into a 12-inch circle. Remove the top sheets and invert the dough into a 9-inch pie pan. Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Remove the remaining plastic wrap. Fold the dough under at the rim and crimp or flute the edge .
- Position rack in lower third of oven; preheat to 425°F.
- To prepare filling & assemble pie: Whisk pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves and salt in a medium bowl until well combined. Add condensed milk and eggs and whisk until smooth. Pour the filling into the prepared crust.
- Bake the pie for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350° and bake until the filling is set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes more. (Cover the crust edges with foil if they are browning too quickly.) Let cool completely on a wire rack before serving.
To crimp or flute pie crust, use a fork to crimp the edge. Or use one hand to pinch/flute the edge of the crust between your thumb and side of your index finger.
Whole-wheat pastry flour is milled from soft wheat. It contains less gluten than regular whole-wheat flour and helps ensure a tender result in delicate baked goods while providing the nutritional benefits of whole grains. Store in an airtight container in the freezer.
Prepare the crust (Step 1), wrap tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per serving (recipe makes 10 servings)
|Mono Saturated Fat||5g|